Your data room equipment is the foundation to maintain high network performance in an ever-changing environment. It supports your network cabling and technology hardware, ensuring that they operate efficiently and securely.
In this post, we’ll discuss the three main categories of data room equipment for businesses and organizations in Puerto Rico. Whether you’re building a small data center for your company’s computer equipment or managing a cloud data center with hundreds of thousands of square feet of floor space, we’ll cover all the critical equipment you need to create a secure and efficient data room.
[Related reading: Choosing the Right Backup Power UPS for Your Business]
Types of data room equipment:
1. Cabinets, Enclosures & Containment
Cabinets and enclosures are used to physically protect and organize IT equipment, while containment systems are used to manage the flow of air within a data center or server room to improve cooling efficiency and reduce energy costs.
- Server & network cabinets – house and protect servers, networking equipment, and other sensitive electronic equipment. They are enclosed from all sides with doors and side panels.
- Open racks for OCP – fully welded frame structure built according to Open Compute Project® (OCP) specifications to meet the demands of mass scale computing.
- Aisle containment – door assemblies, ducts and other products for both hot and cold aisle containment that offer superior airflow management (reducing operating costs).
- Telecommunication enclosures – raised floor, ceiling or wall-mounted enclosures for telecommunication equipment.
- Consolidation point enclosures – used to create consolidation points to reduce the overall cost of adding or moving network cabling. They can be attached to the wall or be installed above drop ceilings or under access floors.
- Wireless enclosures – provide a secure location for access points. These access points create wireless LANs, eliminating the need to connect users with cables.
- Wire cage enclosures – a simple, economical way to create a security partition around your equipment in shared facility spaces.
- Industrial enclosures – enclosures that follow strict design requirements to certify that your sensitive automation IT, control and electrical equipment is protected against particulate and liquid penetration. They are available in multiple sizes and mounting options such as: floor-mount, free-standing, modular and wall-mount. Most enclosures are also available in disconnect models that offer protection to electrical components.
2. Cable Pathway
An important part of the network is the pathway infrastructure to support and secure cabling from the data center or equipment room to workstations. This includes:
- Cable runway – steel structure that supports backbone and horizontal cables for the entire length of the cable. Open on the top, bottom and sides, allowing cables to easily enter and exit the pathway.
- Wire mesh cable tray – used for high-density cable distribution in data centers and commercial spaces. Allows to route cables under access floors or above acoustic ceilings to create hidden pathways.
- Auxiliary frame – used to create support structures for cable pathway products and to add bracing to racks and pathway products located in seismic zones.
- Accessories – supports, splices, bends, elevation kits and corner brackets used to create a complete pathway, enhance cable transitions and promote proper bend radiuses.
[Related reading: ¿Qué es cableado estructurado?]
3. Racks & Cable Managers
Racks provide an open and flexible structure that can be easily reconfigured to accommodate changes in equipment. They also tend to be less expensive than cabinets and require less space, making them a good choice for smaller installations that don’t require a high level of security or for those with a limited budget. The main types of racks are: two-post (relay racks), four-post and wall-mount.
Cable managers are designed specifically to manage cables within a rack or other enclosure. They come in a variety of types and designs, including horizontal and vertical cable managers, cable trays, and cable ducts.
Selecting the right partner for your data room needs
Availability, efficiency and scalability begin with your data room equipment. Therefore, choosing the right partner and products is crucial. A selection of high-quality data room equipment will:
- Provide rapid deployment
- Increase energy efficiency and reduce cooling cost
- Simplify compliance
- Increase your network speed
- Maximize site utilization
- Allow for easy moves, adds and changes to connections (saving time and money)
- Support future networking growth and cabling demands
Partner spotlight: Chatsworth Products (CPI) for next generation data room equipment.
At EAS Systems, Inc., we trust Chatsworth Products’ simple and effective solutions to easily manage and protect cables while maximizing network infrastructure uptime. From robust solutions for high-density applications to versatile and economical products for lower-density networking needs, CPI has a solution for you.
Want to talk about our data room equipment and other communications & infrastructure solutions for clients in Puerto Rico?
Contact us! Our team specializes in the design and installation of high quality and high-performance communications infrastructure for commercial, industrial and government applications. Solutions include horizontal cabling, backbone cabling, outside plant, and testing.
EAS Systems, Inc. is a leading company in security, communication & infrastructure solutions – serving industrial, commercial and government clients in Puerto Rico and the USVI for 27+ years. Our services include Video Surveillance, Access Control, Structured Cabling, Perimeter Intrusion Detection, Key Control & Management, Intercom & Public Address, Commercial Audio/Visual + more.